Thursday, August 25, 2005

cruisin' the mediterranean



here's a couple of pics taken from the balcony of our cabin on the ship. the view was absolutely amazing. i spent several mornings on the balcony reading and taking in the scenery. the whole time we were on the mediterranean i couldn't help but think about the fact that the Apostle Paul sailed these same waters over 2,000 years ago. during part of the trip i was rereading "blue like jazz" (one of my personal favorites). donald miller's writing style kept causing me to put myself in the shoes (or sandals) of Paul and wonder what it would be like to be sailing on these waters so long ago. i thought about what kinds of things i would encounter; the difficulties and trials in rome, the people who would hear about the gospel for the first time, the conversations on mars hill. then, i finished the book and realized that i was completely incapable of thinking that way on my own. i tried it again and i just couldn't do it without the encouragement from donald miller. i love his writing. i hear he has some new stuff out now. i'll have to check it out so i can learn to dream again. anyway, loved the book... loved the cabin... loved the trip. more tomorrow on how to survive on a cruise ship in europe without luggage for 5 days. it's gonna be a good one. don't miss it. much love.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

This is Ben on Aarons comp.

Mike, you never pick up the phone!!

Have fun painting Krog's house!!

Peace!!

Adam and Natalie said...

Mikey, Awesome blog. I am so jealous of your summer excursion's. Talk to you soon.

Adam

Anonymous said...

i've heard too much about blue like jazz. i'm going to have read it today.

Anonymous said...

Mikey, I like the picture of the back of your head. Did I ever tell you that I think you have a nicely shaped head? Some of us aren't so blessed. Thought you might appreciate some encouragement. -Wyatt

Kevin said...

I too have an oddly acute sense of appreciation for the shape of your head. Unlike myself, you have the ability to wear hats well. Not that I'm jealous of your head or your full sideburns or your ability to grow a decent neck beard or anything...I'm just sayin'...you've got a nicely shaped head.